Grace, Gratitude and Grit
Dear Grace Family,
This new year marks our annual stewardship campaign to support the church operating budget. In the fall we successfully completed the READY capital campaign to fund the campus renovations and improvements. Thank you for your generosity and faithfulness! Now it’s time to support the ministry, programs and mission of Grace.
What do we really know about generosity? According to the thesaurus, generosity can also be described as “plentiful, big-hearted, giving, large, substantial, charitable.” As a church, do these words describe us? As a person, do they describe you? As we enter into the stewardship season, please consider these words and how they resonate with “U.”
Here’s the truth about generosity—it takes Grace, Gratitude and Grit. Please read on as we explain further…
What difference does God’s grace have on your life? Take a moment to consider how it is powerfully at work in you.
God’s grace is powerfully at work here at our Grace. There are new members, new conversions, new ministry opportunities all rising up from God’s grace at work in and through people like you. What a privilege it is to be able to respond.
Attitude of gratitude-what are you grateful for? Individually and corporately Grace Presbyterian Church has so much for which to be grateful. We are celebrating 49 years of participating together in God’s Kingdom work. We are located at the heart of the city to reach people from all walks of life. We are a big-hearted, mission-filled, disciple-making, loving and welcoming congregation. We know how to work together for the greater good. No doubt, blessings will be bestowed on others when we as a church choose gratitude.
“So I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man.”(Acts 24:16 )
This passage references digging in and that is difficult. To “strive always” requires making a choice. Easy or hard, generous or withholding, loving or hating, contributor or consumer, welcoming or rejecting. Our church is filled with people with grit!
In the midst of both joys and stresses of daily life, the people of Grace show grit. At all hours of the day and night, we pray, plan, host, teach, serve, disciple, and love to make ministry happen. Grit is a choice.
So, what now?
We are asking U to consider the truth about generosity this season.
We are asking U to continue or perhaps for the first time support the ministry and operations of this church.
We are asking U for your prayers and contributions so we may make Jesus visible across the street and around the world.
We are asking U to live out the truth about generosity by responding to the grace of God in your life; by your generosity being influenced by gratitude; by your grit to give in all circumstances.
Here are just a few ways the family of Grace is making Jesus visible:
- In 2018, 25 % of our new members are young married adults with young families that are feeding into the ever-growing Foundations Sunday school class/Young Moms Bible study.
- Children’s ministry added Preschool Family Experiences and Preteen Nights for to ensure programming for all ages of children.
- VBS planning is in full swing for June 10-13, 2019. New this year is anadded sports camp after VBS until 4:30 pm so that kids whose parents work may be able to attend VBS and then have after care.
- We have some creatively gifted staff, for the first-time ever all 7 of the VBS songs on the CD were originally written and recorded by our very talented staff.
- High school ministry has added a well-attended spring break trip to their travel lineup-last year Yosemite Park, this year snow skiing. And to keep students connected outside of church they have also added monthly in-home Brotherhood and Sisterhood dinners.
- The Encore team is revamping our Grace to Go Ministry to visit homebound members.
- The choir is working on plans for a trip to perform at Carnegie Hall and is also bringing back our Handbell music program.
- Money and gift cards were sent to California residents impacted by fires because a couple in our congregation was moved to coordinate the effort and others were moved to respond.
- The Gathering, held monthly to provide respite care for those with memory issues, has connected with Grace School 2nd graders to work alongside The Gathering participants as they do crafts.
- 4,972 lbs of food donations were given to West Houston Assistance Ministries in 2018.
- Grace hosted Operation Turkey on Thanksgiving Day-1,400 meals were prepared and sent out from Grace by over 400 volunteers.
- Christmas in the Courtyard raised: $6,400 for Kendleton Farms, $3,900 to send books to library in Kenya and $2,000 to build a school in Guatemala.
- Bless Strategy Summit – Two days of planning meetings with 30 participants from the congregation to define 6 strategic initiatives for the next few years to guide Grace in our mission work to be people of blessing across the street and around the world.
- Five members of the congregation recently started a 19-week training program to become Stephen Ministers to care for others in our church who are hurting.
- The mentor program at Paul Revere Middle School is at capacity on Fridays with 30 mentors/students. There is currently a student waiting list and the mentor program is expanding to additional day to accommodate these students.
- In Christmas for the City, 5 Habitat for Humanity house walls were built and 1,000 boxes of food were packed for Children’s Hunger Fund.
You were created to be generous.
“You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.”
2 Corinthians 9:11
There are 3 Ways to Give:
Commit your pledge in worship on Commitment Sunday, February 10 at any worship service.
Mail your pledge card to the church prior to February 10.
Make your pledge online anytime by clicking HERE. (Note: You must be logged into your account to be able to pledge online.)
There are multiple ways to fulfill your commitment to Grace:
- You may place cash or check payable to Grace Presbyterian Church into the offering plate or send it by mail.
- Use the Grace website “Give Online” tab at the bottom to make a recurring or onetime credit/debit card or electronic check payment.
- Set up Grace as a payee through your online banking institution to make scheduled donations that fit your timing and your budget.
Remember to please specify how your gift should be distributed between the operating budget, READY capital campaign, and/or another designated purpose.